Volume: about 1.9 quarts over stock
Dimensions: Click here for dimensions. PML pan is about 1.4 inches deeper than stock pan. See Specifications for pictures comparing PML pan and stock pan.
Number of Bolts: 18 bolts hold the pan on the transmission case
PML has designed and manufactured a heavy duty, extra capacity Ford 10R80 transmission pan for 2017 and newer Ford F150 and Ranger trucks and SUVs.
- Access to the stock pan may be difficult. On some vehicles, cooling tubes, exhaust pipes, frame cross members and skid plates must be removed or loosened and lowered. Video of an installation: https://youtu.be/llKEEhhZ1tg
- Thin, metal heat shielding around the edges of the stock pan may need to be trimmed or removed to fit on the PML pan.
- Flange does NOT have holes on the side for blanket that wraps around transmission (blanket may only be on 2017 models).
- PML pan may NOT work with factory skid plates without modification to plate or spacers.
- This is a NEW product and we have not had installations on any SUVs.
- Mustang ground cleance is limited so this deep pan is not recommended. Information on a stock capacity available February 2021.
Before ordering, review these cautions and your vehicle configuration. There is a restocking fee for returns. See our Return Policy.
Benefits of a PML 10R80 Transmission Pan:
- Drain and magnetic drain plug for easier fluid changes
- Extra capacity
- Heavy duty sand cast aluminum construction (not plastic)
- Finned to increase surface area for heat dissipation
- Thick walls and gasket flange
- PML pan fits without modification to cooling tubes or exhaust
PML designed this deep transmission pan to maintain clearance on trucks and SUVs. It should clear other components, such as cooling lines and the exhaust, and it should not hang down below the frame. You must check your vehicle to verify.
Our thanks to those who provided pictures and information about their vehicles and to Walter's Transmission Shop in Temecula for providing a pan.
This pan is probably too deep to maintain ground clearance on Mustangs. PML part number 11179, is a 10R80 stock capacity pan and will be about 5/8 inch deeper than stock.
Subscribe to our Ford 10R80 Deep Transmission Pan Mailing List
Please sign up for our email list so we know that you're interested in this pan. You will get updates about this project (like 2 or 3 emails per year).
This is a list of vehicles that may have a 10R80 transmission and may be able to use this pan:
- 2020 and newer Bronco
- 2018 and newer Expedition
- 2020 and newer Explorer (may have 10R60)
- 2017 and newer F–150
- 2018 and newer Mustang (probably need a stock capacity pan for ground clearance)
- 2017 and newer Ranger, 2019 and newer in US
- 2017 and newer Raptor
- 2018 and newer Lincoln Navigator
- 2020 and newer Police Interceptors
Always check your vehicle before ordering. Configurations vary and PML cannot guarantee fitment.
This pan has been installed on:
- 2020 F150
- 2019 Ranger
- 2018 F150
- 2018 Raptor
- 2017 Raptor
- 2017 F150
2020 Ford F–150 3.5 EcoBoost
Jim installed this PML pan on his 2020 F150 3.5 EcoBoost 4WD truck. He reported that "It went really well and we saved many steps in the process." Here are the details from Jim:
All we did was remove 4 bolts and swung the front sway bar down and out of the way so we could get the cooler body and lines down as far as possible. After that all we had to do was maneuver the original pan down and out (we previously used suction to pull most of the fluid out of the pan) and then put the new pan in the same way. It just took a little maneuvering through the transmission lines and then putting things back together. We didn’t have to undue any of the exhaust or remove the cross-member or do anything else.
2019 Ford Ranger 2.3L
Ron installed this PML 10R80 transmission pan on his 2019 Ranger 2.3L 4WD truck. Everything went well, no problem. On his Ranger, the deeper PML pan had plenty of clearance to the exhaust and frame and no problem with ground clearance.
2019 Ranger 2.3L 10R80
Stock transmission pan
Pumping out old fluid
Filter PML pan allows plenty of clearance to ground and frame PML pan installed
Click on image to view larger in a new tab or window.
2018 Ford F–150
On many vehicles, accessing the transmission pan is a long, complex procedure and should only be done by a professional.
This PML Ford 10R80 pan was installed on a 2018 Ford F–150 5.0L 2WD truck. Our thanks to Torrance Transmissions (310-378-9217) for their expertise and allowing us to take pictures and video the installation.
2018 F150 2WD V8 5.0L
Ford 10R80 transmission stock pan
Removing stock pan
Putting on new filter
Installation of PML 10R80 transmission pan Filling PML transmission pan PML pan installed on 2018 F150 PML pan fits nicely!
Click on image to view larger in a new tab or window.
Video of installation:
2018 Ford Raptor
David installed this PML pan on his 2018 Ford Raptor 3.5HO 4x4. He reported that the pan was "super easy" to install with the exhaust off.
2017 Ford Raptor
Shawn installed this PML 10R80 pan on his 2017 Ford Raptor 802A, 3.5L V6 High Output Turbo, 4WD. During the installation, he discovered his stock pan was leaking. Shawn did need to modify the skid plate for the PML pan to fit.
On this Raptor, loosening or removing the cooling lines was needed for access. Shawn cut off the push pin clips on the shield around the transmission since the PML pan did not have a provision for them.
The skid plate has a bump that hit the deer pan. So they cut out the bump. Distance from bottom of PML pan to skid plate is now 3/8 inch.
2017 Ford F–150
Charlie at ALHOTRODS.com installed this PML 10R80 transmission pan on his 2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost 4WD with the Max Towing Package.
- Charlie had space near the exhaust but he had to temporarily drop the cooling tubes. The tubes went back into place without a problem.
- He cut the heat shielding around the flange since it would not fit on the passenger side near the rear.
- The transmission shield that wraps around the transmission has push pin clips that go into the side of the transmission pan. The PML pan does not have holes for these push pin clips. Charlie checked and reported that shield was secure without the clips.
Stock Pan, Transmission, Filter and Dipstick
PML designed our transmission pan to work with the stock transmission, filter, gasket, dipstick and level check/fill procedure. PML allowed for the cooling lines, plates, exhaust and frame near the pan.
Ford 10R80 transmission, filter on transmission with stock transmission pan and gasket, stock transmission pan, OEM dipstick and fill hole plug:
10R80 Transmission and Pan and Gasket
10R80 Transmission Pan
10R80 dipstick and plug from the fill/level check hole
Undercarriage plate covering stock transmission pan on 2018 F150 Transmission pan is under the insulation. There are also tubes below the stock pan and insulation. Dropping the undercarriage plate to get access to the stock transmission pan. 2018 F150, driver side view, stock transmission oil pan
Click on image to view larger.
On some vehicles, there is heat shielding insulation around the stock pan and undercarriage protection. There are also cooling tubes and exhaust pipes that must be moved to access the stock pan.
Ford and GM jointly developed a 10 speed transmission. Both Ford and GM will be using this transmission beginning with 2017 models. Ford calls it a 10R80 and GM calls it a 10L80. The pans are not the same.
Ford and GM are also planning beefier 10 speed transmissions, the Ford 10R140 and the GM 10L90.
Inside of PML Pan and Bosses on Side Walls
The inside of the PML pan has ridges similar to the stock pan.
On the left and right side walls, PML has two bosses. These are thick, round areas that can be drilled and tapped. A common use would be for a temperature sending unit to monitor the temperature of the fluid in the pan. The bosses are about 0.9 inches in diameter.
- Drain hole is on the bottom of the pan, toward the rear, on the passenger/right side
- Magnetic drain plug is a 3/8 NPT and recessed so the plug does not hang down
- Magnetic drain plug is included
A drain hole makes servicing the transmission easier. Fluid can be replaced without dropping the pan.
Drain hole in bottom right corner of picture
Click on image to view larger.
Optional Temperature Sending Unit Machining
Optionally, this pan can be machined for a temperature sending unit. There are bosses (thick, round areas) on the left and right sides of the pan for this. Click on image to view larger:
If you would like PML to drill and tap hole, the machining charge is per hole. A plug for the hole is included.
The standard size is 1/8 NPT. Call or email if you need a different size.